What is an IT Security Analyst?
The IT Security Analyst recommends and implements security measures to improve and protect a company’s IT systems and ensures system controls are operating efficiently.
They identify flaws in a business’s information systems that have the potential to compromise the security of systems and data.
The IT Security Analyst also documents all security incidences and is responsible for designing a disaster recovery plan in the event of a serious security breach.
What should be included in an IT Security Analyst job description?
If you are hiring an IT Security Analyst in Singapore, the job description can feature:
- Reviewing existing IT security measures to identify weaknesses
- Monitoring and provide advice on information security issues related to the systems
- Ensuring internal security controls are appropriate and operating effectively
- Recommending security initiatives to protect IT systems
- Analysing security incidents to ensure prompt troubleshooting and resolution of issues
- Analysing logs from different systems, servers, and applications to identify threats and infection
- Developing IT security policies, procedures and standards based on best practice and compliance requirements
- Performing network tests, vulnerability assessment scans and risk assessment reviews
- Staying up to date with the latest security threats
What skills and qualifications should an IT Security Analyst have?
A formal degree is typically required for an IT Security Analyst in Singapore, often with tertiary qualifications in:
- Computer Science
- Information Systems
Professional certifications such as Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) may also be desirable for an IT Systems Analyst.
There are several qualities that candidates for an IT Systems Analyst role in Singapore should be expected to display:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to articulate to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Self-driven education to stay abreast of security developments and threats
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and multi-task effectively
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies with minimal support and guidance
- A strong ethical foundation for business practices and promotion of workplace integrity