What is a Cloud Engineer?
Singapore is one of the most advanced public and private cloud markets across the Asia Pacific, and this is driving demand for Cloud Engineers across a variety of industries1. The Cloud Engineer identifies and integrates cloud computing solutions that allow companies to operate with greater efficiency and security. The Cloud Engineer is also responsible for the ongoing management and support of cloud services within the organisation, with a focus on maintaining cloud security.
To secure the best candidate, a Cloud Manager job description must be well-written and address a specific selection of attributes and abilities.
What should be included in a Cloud Engineer job description?
If you are hiring a Cloud Engineer, the job description can feature:
- Planning, designing, and managing the cloud infrastructure
- Developing new cloud-based solutions
- Maintaining and deploying cloud applications
- Troubleshooting and resolving issues within the cloud infrastructure
- Assisting with user training for utilisation of cloud computing
- Maintaining a service register for all cloud technology assets and services
- Developing and implementing cloud policy and best practice guides for the organisation
- Investigating problems in systems, processes and cloud security, and implementing preventative measures.
What skills and qualifications should a Cloud Engineer have?
A formal degree is typically required for a Cloud Engineer, often with tertiary qualifications in:
- Computer Science
- Information Systems
Professional certifications such as Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP) may be desirable for a Cloud Engineer, as well as vendor-specific certifications for major providers including AWS, Azure and Microsoft.
There are several qualities that candidates for a Cloud Engineer role should be expected to display:
- A technical, logical thought process
- An ability to prioritise tasks
- An ability to adapt to new systems
- A keen eye for detail