Accountant Salary Guide
Are you a hiring manager or changing jobs? Download the Robert Half Salary Guide and view salary benchmarking data for Accountant and Finance and accounting trends.
An Accountant is responsible for managing and the reporting of financial information for an organisation. Whilst an Accountant may perform all the tasks encompassed in an accountancy role in smaller companies, different accountants are generally responsible for different accountancy areas in larger companies. This can include financial accounting and management accounting.
Accountant duties and responsibilities of the job
As one of the most crucial roles not just of any finance team, but any company, the Accountant job description is a dynamic role with a multitude of responsibilities, including:
- Ensure timely, accurate month-end closing and financial reporting to Management
- Responsible for preparation and closing of monthly and annual financial statements
- Responsible for accounting processes and tasks (i.e.: AP & AR process, GL, account reconciliation, etc.)
- Coordinate and liaise with internal parties to support intercompany activities
- Support forecasting and budgeting exercise as per corporate guidelines
- Coordinate and liaise with external parties like external auditors, tax agents, corporate secretarial agents, local tax and government authorities where required
- Support and ensure compliance with all finance filing requirements, tax filing requirement (GST/WHT/CIT/…), audits, procedures and forms both statutory and internal
- Assist in new processes and system implementation when required
Accountant job qualifications and requirements
A degree, although not always mandatory, is very advantageous in an accountancy career. A qualification in the following is particularly favoured:
- Accounting/Business/Economics degree
- CPA / ACCA or its equivalents
An Accountant job description can also include the following soft and technical skills to have:
- Good working knowledge of IFRS
- Well-versed in MS Office, especially MS Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- A self-starter who is able to plan, organise and take initiative to meet job objectives and deadlines independently
- Can-do attitude, driven and passionate about work
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Are you looking for an Accountant role? View our latest Accountant jobs here.