With technology playing an increasingly important role in the development and success of modern businesses, it’s critical that IT teams are highly skilled and capable. Qualities such as accountability, crisis management and an ability to prioritise are essential to great IT Managers.
To secure the best candidate, an IT Manager job description must be well-written and ask for a specific selection of attributes and abilities.
IT Manager duties and responsibilities of the job
As a leader in the IT department, and an employee responsible for organisation-wide systems and information, an IT Manager job description should include the following duties and responsibilities:
- Overseeing and determining timeframes for major IT projects including system updates, upgrades, migrations and outages
- Managing and reporting on allocation of IT budget
- Providing direction for IT team members
- Identifying opportunities for team training and skills advancement
- Running regular checks on network and data security
- Identifying and acting on opportunities to improve and update software and systems
- Developing and implementing IT policy and best practice guides for the organisation
- Designing training programs and workshops for staff
- Conducting regular system audits
- Running and sharing regular operation system reports with senior staff
IT Manager job qualifications and requirements
As a manager in the organisation, the IT Manager job description should ask for several years' industry experience, and a qualification or degree in one of the following fields:
- Information Technology
- Science or Computer Science
Are you looking for an IT manager role? View our latest IT manager jobs here.