Security Consultant Salary Guide
Are you a hiring manager or changing jobs? Download the Robert Half Salary Guide and view salary benchmarking data for Security Consultant and IT and Technology trends.
Faced with ever-increasing threats to IT security, organisations need to maintain a vigilant approach to protect their systems and data, and a Security Consultant play a key role in this process. Security Consultants are responsible for a number of functions associated with IT security - from conducting reviews of software security, through to updating information security policies.
Security Consultant duties and responsibilities of the job
A Security Consultant job description should include the following responsibilities:
- Conduct information security management reviews and information security management system (ISMS) assessments
- Ensure technical implementation and business processes are aligned
- Lead the design, implementation, operation and maintenance security management systems
- Participate in the creation, review and update of information security policies
- Provide complex technical advice, recommendations and consultancy on networks, infrastructure, products and services supplied
- Provide or assist with implementation documentation
- Ongoing project management
Security Consultant job qualifications and requirements
Holding a degree and having a technical background will be required to gain a Security Consultant role. Degrees in Information Technology and Information Security are often preferred.
As well as formal qualifications, a Security Consultant must demonstrate the following qualities:
- Experience in information security management and related functions such as IT Risk Management
- Ability to align information security policies with business requirements
- Flair for translating information security requirements into IT security controls and measures
- Attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral
- Project management skills and an ability to translate business requirements into technical IT security deliverables
Organisations may also have specific requirements for Security Consultants including information security management qualifications such as CISSP or CISM.
Are you looking for a Security Consultant role? View our latest Security Consultant jobs here.