Software Developer Salary Guide
Are you a hiring manager or changing jobs? Download the Robert Half Salary Guide and view salary benchmarking data for Software Developer and IT and Technology trends.
A Java, C#/ .Net or C/C++ Developer is generally responsible for the development, design and implementation of new or modified software products.
Typically sitting within the R&D or Application development team, a Software Developer will be involved in liaising with the Business Analysts and Development Managers to ensure software projects meet requirements.
Software Developer duties and responsibilities of the job
A standard Software Developer job description should include, but not be limited to:
- Researching, designing, implementing and managing software programs
- Testing and evaluating new programs
- Identifying areas for modification in existing programs and subsequently developing these modifications
- Writing and implementing efficient code
- Determining operational practicality
- Developing quality assurance procedures
- Deploying software tools, processes and metrics
- Maintaining and upgrading existing systems
- Training users
- Working closely with other developers, UX designers, business and systems analysts
Software Developer job qualifications and requirements
A degree and a technical background should be required to gain a Software Developer role. Degrees in the following subjects should be highlighted as particularly advantageous:
- Computer Science
- Computer Software Engineering
- Software Programming and Development
As well as formal qualifications, a Software Developer job description should highlight the following qualities:
- Knowledge and interest in computer systems and the latest technologies
- The ability to learn new technologies quickly
- An analytical mind
- The ability to communicate complex procedures to other colleagues
- Commercial and business awareness
- Good communication skills – both written and verbal
- Attention to detail and desire to probe further into data
Are you looking for a Software Developer role? View our latest Software Developer jobs here.